Light and Reflection – Background for Elementary Teachers
Before you tackle your unit or lesson on the reflection of light – here is some helpful background information that will support your teaching and your student’s learning!
NGSS Connections PS4-B: Electromagnetic Radiation
- Plan and conduct investigations to determine the effect of placing objects made with different materials in the path of a beam of light.
- Some materials allow light to pass through them, others allow only some light through and others block all the light and create a dark shadow on any surface beyond them, where the light cannot reach. Mirrors can be used to redirect a light beam (1-PS4-3)
- Develop a model to describe that light reflecting from objects and entering the eye allows objects to be seen.
- An object can be seen when light reflected from it’s surface enters they eyes (4-PS4-2)
- Develop and use a model to describe that waves are reflected, absorbed, or transmitted through various materials
- When light shines on an object, it is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted through the object, depending on the object’s material and the frequency (color) of the light (MS-PS4-2)
Reflection for Elementary Teachers
This video was created as part of a 6 unit OnLine Course on Light for Elementary teachers – this is the video portion of the module on Reflection. It covers how to “uncover” the law of reflection, exactly what the law of reflection is and how to measure it – as well as how the law of reflection applies to how we see everyday objects.